The Riverside Art Museum is proud to join the collaborative efforts of Inland Southern California cultural organizations exploring the legacy of our citrus heritage. Kickstarting March 2019, the Zest! collaboration will feature exhibitions, performances, and workshops at museums and centers across the region.
Partner organizations include:
- A. K. Smiley Public Library
- California Citrus State Historic Park
- Jurupa Mountains Discovery Center
- Loma Linda Area Parks and Historical Society
- Mission Inn Museum
- Riverside Art Museum
- Riverside Metropolitan Museum
- San Bernardino County Museum
- The University of California Riverside Citrus Variety Collection
Zest! at RAM | Unpacking the Citrus Label: The Art and Design of Fantasy Heritage
Join Dr. Irene Sanchez, a Chicana educator, poet, and writer, for a free presentation on Saturday, May 25, 2019, 2:30 p.m.–4 p.m. Citrus crate labels were condensed works of graphic design that spread across the country at the turn of the century via refrigerated train cars. Dr. Sanchez’s presentation and poetry reading explores how the idealistic imagery pictured on these were quixotic and often so whitewashed as to be devoid of any sense of the true Mexican and Native American roots of California.
Riverside Metropolitan Museum
San Bernardino County Museum